Most persons see the Caribbean as just a tourism destination. There’s also this widespread view of it being a poor region that’s lacking in basic infrastructure. However, that’s not the case, and Kirk-Anthony has been dispelling that myth. Kirk-Anthony Hamilton is an architectural designer turned entrepreneur and investor from Kingston, Jamaica. He is the CEO of the Infiniti Partnership, a company connecting opportunities to a dynamic network of people, capital and markets.
“On May 11, 2015 Kirk-Anthony was 1 of 75 Emerging Global Entrepreneurs from around the world selected to be
honored by President Barack Obama at an event hosted at the White House as part of the President’s Global
Entrepreneurship Initiative.” In January of 2016 Kirk-Anthony was selected as 1 of 50 members of the Global
Shapers Community to take part in the World Economic Forum’s Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland.
Kirk-Anthony has built a few platforms designed to attract innovation, influence, wealth, and media to the Caribbean to drive investment, partnership and mentorship. He is on a mission to shift the image of the region as a business destination. He has designed two platforms, The Destination Experience and Tech Beach Retreat, for elevating the best organizations within the Caribbean region, highlighting the opportunities for disruption, and bringing the global business ecosystem to the table to form collaborative opportunities.
In this podcast, you’ll hear more about these two platforms and what they’ve accomplished since their start, the role the diaspora plays in helping entrepreneurs in the Caribbean, the industries that young people should be involved in, and more. You’ll hear his thoughts and views on how millennials are treated, the restrictions they face, and how best to overcome this problem to gain acceptance and have a better understanding of today’s society and ever-changing world. This promises to be a very informative interview, so tune in!
- The Destination Experience is the flagship. It’s designed to attract global business leaders to the table to meet with local peers.
- Tech Beach Retreat narrows down specifically to the tech industry. It attracts a group of high quality people from organizations such as Google, PayPal and Facebook. Local and regional startups are also involved.
[06:11] What is your position on the role that the diaspora plays in helping entrepreneurs in the Caribbean or fostering the ecosystem growth from where it is now?
- Tech Beach targets startups, and one of the key pillars is to be able to sift through and identify diaspora members who have managed to attain a certain level of success.
- They are able to offer real access to a certain market and can as a gateway between the Caribbean and the market within which they reside (dual role).
- The best move to make is to pull global resources into the region.
- Be a true connector with the global marketplace for business.
[10:56] What are some industries that you feel maybe young people should be more involved in? Why aren’t young people as involved in various industries?
- Every single industry.
- More young people should be allowed to engage at the highest level and place in various job positions that are leading the way for companies so that they can tap into the market of millennials.
[15:15] What is the landscape like for things to groom young leaders?
- The negative views about millennials need to change.
- We live in a hyper-connected world. The level of efficiency that we’re operating in now is different from it was in the 90s.
- We have to be accepting of the shift of how things have changed.
[27:30] Are there any programs in place in the Caribbean to have leadership development in preparation for when those opportunities do come?
- Young Leaders of the Americas Initiative – brings together young people from countries all over the Caribbean and Latin America to meet around various ideas.
- The World Bank and IDB – primarily entrepreneurship driven
- The Destination Experience and Tech Beach gives them access to international leaders, and highlighting them, themselves as leaders.
- techbeach.net and email firstname.lastname@example.org
- A variety of leaders will be present and it offers the opportunity to connect with a wide array of leaders.
- Centered around access, fun, exciting, and awesome place to meet entrepreneurs and innovators in the tech space
[39:16] What is your last word to the audience and to the community of friends when it comes to looking at the region as an area ripe for innovation and for investments? What’s one main takeaway?
- Economic prosperity is a real possibility.
- The Caribbean is well poised for economic growth through a number of factors, such as geographical location.
Join the convo online using #cofpodcast
Connect with Kirk-Anthony Hamilton and learn about upcoming event
- Authentic, Inspirational & Informative!September 27, 2017 by Robinbryd from United States
This podcast feels like your comfy favorite blanket - familiar, comforting and warm. As a person of Carribean decent it's refreshing to hear a podcast dedicated to our stories.
- The Podcast You Should Subscribe To!!June 13, 2017 by kaishajones from United States
Carry On Friends podcasts stepped up when there was very few or little to none supporting a demographic of people seldom targeted or not targeted at all. I appreciate this as a young woman of Caribbean American
- Natural !February 17, 2017 by James Watt2013 from United States
Very interesting podcast. What I've found more interesting is the way Kerry-Ann shares her business, career experiences and strategies. she is positive, encouraging and motivating. Thank you Kerry. - Prabal From InterviewsThatConvert.com
- This feels like homeFebruary 8, 2017 by Danielle "Dani Dares" Fontus from United States
I LOVE that this is a place where the unique reality of being Caribbean American is celebrated. It is comforting to hear others that I can do specifically relate to. I love that it is informative and fun in a way that only a Caribbean American can do. It really is a great marriage of the cultures!
- Great discussions and topicsNovember 7, 2016 by ChanelStew from United States
I love that this podcasts speaks to professional growth with the Caribbean population in mind. Who else tells us how to be unique in culture in a work world that isn't expecting is. Getting insights from people that I may never have heard from. Thank you, and as a Black American but wouldn't change a thing about this podcast.
- It was a pleasure to be a guest on the show!October 25, 2016 by Rana Campbel from United States
My experience interviewing with Kerry-Ann was fabulous. Love what she is doing on the show and think that she has a unique gift for pulling out gems while still staying true to the Caribbean Spirit of the podcast! Would highly recommend to my fellow Caribbean Americans 🙂
- Great Info!September 22, 2016 by Kcdguifgu from United States
I'm loving Kerry's insight! Keep up the great work. One love! Kwame
- Entertaining, practical and informativeSeptember 19, 2016 by Kingsley - Hope Dispenser from United States
I have enjoyed listening to this show with Kerry-Ann. I love the content and the enthusiasm displayed in each episode. I have listened to a number of episodes and have always come away with something of value. As the host of the Success Caribbean Style podcast, I know what it takes to put together a show period much less a great one. Kerry-Ann has mastered it. Great show ~ @kingsleygrant
- To Greatness.. Carry On!January 15, 2016 by DDSS from United States
- There are more...October 10, 2015 by Jboss3886 from United States
A few outliers are cool but Kerry-Ann sheds light on some lesser known successful Caribbean American entrepreneurs. Excited about the interview series.
- Content I can relate tooMay 2, 2015 by Yogi_HM from United States
I like a few of the topics discussed so far in this podcast series, actually went through the feelings of episode 8 the day before listening to it.
- Easy listenMarch 14, 2015 by Hiccmann from United States
Easy to listen to... cant wait to hear more...
- InspirationalMarch 12, 2015 by Bammbizzle from United States
Great listen,very informative and to the point.Love her voice.
- Well done!!March 4, 2015 by G1bbles from United States
First, let me say that Kerry-Ann is very eloquent and has a wonderful voice for the radio. I listened to her segment on accountability and goal setting. This couldn't have come at a more perfect time; I recently lost my job and felt as if I was accomplishing none of my goals. For the rest of the month, I have a series of goals now that I hold myself accountable to achieve as well as being someone's accountability partner as he makes his way through technical with a few hurdles in the way. I must say I haven't felt this refreshed in a while! This is a great podcast, and my friends think so too!
- Love it!February 17, 2015 by ANarine08 from United States
Just listened to this podcast for the first time and loved it. Kerry-Ann is positive, encouraging, motivating, and full of wonderful ideas (like keeping a compliment journal). Definitely worth checking out if you need some encouragement/motivation in your life.
- Top podcast, top hostJanuary 24, 2015 by Aaron Fifield from Australia
Genuinely enjoyed the latest episode on goal setting, especially the emphasis on actually achieving them too.
- Get informed!!!January 23, 2015 by denden30 from United States
I love this podcast… this girl has a knack for keeping people informed. The time I used to spend in the subway just staring into space 🙂 I now use to take in these little golden nuggets of information.
- RefreshingJanuary 21, 2015 by Ginger-vee Carter from United States
A bright and fresh take on subjects that need talking about. You can definitely feel the positive energy and encouragement in each episode. Can’t wait to hear more. I’m a happy subscriber! Thank you Ginger-vee
- BrilliantJanuary 21, 2015 by Ksaw29 from United States
Refreshing, informative, in depth. The knowledge I have gain from the topics posted by Carry On Friends is immeasurable. A must have on any podcast.
- InspiringJanuary 20, 2015 by D700nikonrp from Canada
Very realistic and insightful and uplifting. Definitely food for thought. LOVE the energy! Thank you!!