Unschooling vs Homeschooling
Jamaican Akilah Richards hosts Fare of the Free Child, a lifestyle and parenting podcast about the connection between liberation, learning, and parenting, particularly among BIPOC (Black Indigenous, People of Color) communities.
In this episode, Akilah gives her definition of unschooling and explains the difference between unschooling and homeschooling. Akilah also shares her journey from the traditional Caribbean perspective on school to Unschooling & Self-Directed Education. We also discuss school wounds and my openness to explore self-directed education as an option for my son.
Connect with Akilah – Website | Instagram | Twitter
Resources mentioned in the episode:
- Fare of the Free Child: School Wounds episode
- The Alliance for Self-Directed Education: https://www.self-directed.org/
- College Admissions for Alternative Schooled (Article from unschooler in Austin, TX)
- Akilah’s TEDx Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgbD1qrJ0c4
- From Schoolish to Self-directed (audio course): https://radicalselfie.teachable.com/p/schooltoself
- Raising Free People book
Enjoyed the show? Please remember to leave a rating and review in Apple Podcasts.
(Updated November 2020)